Sunday, January 10, 2016

Stairway


Currently there is a 16' extension ladder in the well where the Falcons loading ramp should be. I've pondered about what to do. Building this thing, it's always about the illusion of space ship and the reality of a treehouse.  Case in point, if I were to imagine that there really was a Lucasfilm movie prop hovering 12 feet over my backyard I would also have to see that even with the ramp open, it wouldn't be near to touching the ground. I think my solution will be to make a stairway slotted right up into the ramp well of the Falcon where the bottom half looks like something from Endor and the top half abruptly looks more monchromatic and architectural. Who knows, maybe Ewoks built a stairway to get to the ramp(?) Regardless, I need a big-honk'n stair case, and it's got to be good for out doors and pitched at a fairly steep grade of 40 degrees. 

So next problem. On a budget of 40 bucks a week, where do I find this staircase? Improvise. I found a poplar tree in the yard that had fallen but not all the way to the ground. In fact, on the slope where it has fallen to a good chainsaw working height from the ground. In stages I first striped the sides, top and bottom from the tree. Then came back with a protractor and ruler and marked it up. After some careful cuts I made the stairs, then I split them up the middle to make the runners. Now I have now made the runners for my custom staircase. I'll leave them attached to the stump and hanging in the air for a few weeks to dry. Once I'm ready, I'll cut them loose and see how they work in the treehouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment