Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Personal Best



It's been two days since I did my first (sprint) triathlon and I'm aching so badly that when I have to go downstairs, I walk backwards.

I crushed the swim, ate it on the bike, and earned the finish on the run. In the words of one of my triathlete friends, "old buddy, I have never seen anyone come 1st in the swim and 170th in the bike.". So, why would a 38 year old channel swimmer suddenly decide that he is a triathlete? It's kind of a funny story.

At Kate Costello's wedding on big island, I drank too many Mai Tais. A contrary fellow named Mike Schmidt also probably did too. Mike enjoys triathlons, and I enjoy channel swimming. We vigorously critiqued the merits of both. Mike challenged me that if I would do just one eensy weensy sprint triathlon, he would swim all four races in the North Shore Swim Series next summer. After another Mai Tai the answer became yes.

The next morning, rubbing my temples, Sue (teh Suz) reminded me of my commitment. Within a couple weeks time, she also signed me up. Half km swim, 11.1 mile bike, and a 4 mile run. Who comes up with these numbers? So unfair to swimmers. Seriously!

All in all, I guess I'm glad I did it. I sort of have a frame work for understanding tri-geek talk now. Everyone seems to want to know when I'm doing my next one. My answer: don't hold your breath. Besides for now anyway, I've got a few more channels to swim. One thing for sure IF I ever do this again, I'll borrow a real bike.

Thanks to Sue and the kids for coming up. Team orange really got me fired up.

2 comments:

  1. For the record, it's SchmiTT (gotta live up to being contrary:)) To tell the truth, I was hoping you'd forget about the deal, but I'm glad you didn't for two reasons. One, it forces me to swim, which I need to do anyways despite my dislike. Two, I have never, ever, seen or even heard about anybody winning a triathlon swim doing the fly. I am impressed and in awe. I also learned that I have to watch my Mai Tai intake around you :)
    Good on ya!

    vr,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Shmittt. We here at Quinnzblog appreciate your readership and will adjust our records so that this catastrophe will not happen again in the future.

    Our staff also looks forward to seeing you dominate through the entire North Shore series next year.

    Bottoms up!

    ReplyDelete